Saturday, October 4, 2008

what's your story?

so. i've explained it to a few people. but...i've never FULLY explained it to myself. i know, that doesn't make a whole lotta sense, but...it's true. so with that...let's see where this goes, shall we? 

"Why do you want to be a nurse?" 

it's been said time and time again. "i want to help people. i want to make a difference. it's a family thing"...while all those answers are pretty legit and answer the question...it's not enough. and they don't do it for me. for me: the answer is closer to something along the lines of "because i'm good at it". hear me out on this one. in med science, HCT, PCT...it just came to me. it came naturally to me like some people understand algebra. or the way some people can pick up a basketball and become a mini jordan. we're all given gifts, i believe. we're all blessed to have certain areas in our lives where we get to be on top, where we get to be #1. growing up, i didn't have a lot of those areas. i always did well in school, and didn't have to start "working" at it until college. but these classes were different than my language or reading or even chemistry classes. they were more intense. more focused. required more of me. and i produced. time after time, i found myself actually getting it. we would learn new material on monday. by friday we had already been quizzed on it. and were just beginning our weekly test. it was a fast-paced, gotta get it quick type of class. and i did. i never picked up my notes to study. week after week i was getting the highest grade in the class. i was intrigued by the material. so intrigued that i was just soaking it all up. i was good at it. and i was enjoying myself. 

that's not the end of my thought....but...i'm not sure exactly where i want to go with this post. 

i'll edit later.  

1 comment:

Victoria Nelson said...

those are the nurses we like...when they are just plain ol' "good at it." it's in your blood. it's natural. you were born to be a nurse =)
thanks for the suggestion on getting back my blog addresses.
time to start searching my archives...